Freshwater pearls and opals are regarded as two of the “big six” gemstones out there today. As big as these gemstones are, they also have their issues – one being that they are more porous than most other gemstones. Because of the porosity of freshwater pearls and opal jewellery, it’s often advisable for owners to take extra care when cleaning their gemstone items.
The rest of this post will introduce you to the best practices for taking care of your freshwater pearl earrings and opal jewellery in 2023.
1. Freshwater pearls
According to experts, freshwater pearls are generally very soft. As such, proper care is important when cleaning or storing your pearls to prevent them from scratching quickly.
- When cleaning your freshwater pearl earrings and other jewellery pieces, you need to avoid using an ultrasonic or steam cleaner.
- The best material to clean your freshwater pearl jewellery is a soft damp cloth, chamois, or specially designed microfiber cloth for jewellery.
- It’s important to always clean your pearls immediately after use and before storing them.
- If you have very dirty strands of pearl, the best thing to do is trust professionals to help you clean them.
- As with the cleaning process, extra care is also important when storing your freshwater pearl earrings, pendants, studs, or rings. Avoid storing these jewellery items in areas that can easily become hot.
- Avoid an airtight package when storing up your pearl earrings and other related jewellery items. Pearls need moisture to prevent them from breaking quickly. Instead, you can consider keeping your freshwater pearl jewellery in a non-airtight container.
- Pearls are generally soft. To prevent scratches on your jewellery pieces, ensure to always keep them wrapped with a soft pouch.
2. Opal jewellery
As with your freshwater pearl earrings and other pearl items, opal jewellery also needs extra care when cleaning and storing. In case you don’t know, opals contain 21% water. As such, they are very vulnerable to damage, especially if care isn’t taken quickly.
- For the cleaning process; a soft cloth & warm soapy water is all you need. Always avoid using an ultrasonic cleaner or steam cleaner.
- A soft cloth is enough to store your opal gemstone jewellery and prevent it from scratches. Alternatively, you can always consider keeping your opal items in a padded jewellery box.
- Like pearls, opals can easily dry out and crack when exposed to direct sunlight. To avoid this, the best you can do is keep them away from areas that sunlight can easily reach.
- Harsh chemicals will most certainly damage your opals. That said, when buying your cleaning and beauty products, you need to go for those without harsh chemicals.
- Another way to prevent your opals from having scratches is by always keeping them set in protective settings.
- Yearly routine checks and cleaning are important for your opal jewellery. Every year, a professional can help you check your opals for damages and proper cleaning.